Sunday, April 24, 2016

Final Project Work in Progress

I finally, finally, came up with an idea for my final project sculpture. The artist I researched, Sarah Sze, is known for making sculptures out of everyday objects. They're so complex that one can look at them for a long time as the eye discovers new components. We are not supposed to copy our artist's work, however. I planned to make a complicated sculpture too, but it needed to be something different.

At last I thought of going to the old farm dump and taking everyday objects from there! My new objects are a minimum of 20 years old, weathered, and somewhere between garbage, very inappropriately dumped in the woods decades ago, and treasure. I can't believe some of the stuff I found, too! Usually the dump is inaccessible under its veil of poison ivy. Who knew there was an old Singer sewing machine in there!

The running water also adds movement to the sculpture, and an element that I didn't encounter in Sze's work. I was originally going to use some lab equipment for that, but I was not able to set up an environment sturdy enough to hold up expensive glass instruments. An old can will have to do.

Here are some work in progress shots. I think the sculpture might look more like art if it were inside of a building.








No comments:

Post a Comment