Monday, March 24, 2014

Assignment 4 Proposal


With its prompt to “explore technology’s relationship to the landscape,” Assignment 4 offers quite a number of possibilities. For this assignment I think I will explore that technology is the defining element of the landscape in many places now. I could take pictures of technology-filled areas, such as computer labs or maybe parking lots, and cut out all organic elements so that only the technology is left on a white background. This might necessitate some selectivity in defining what ‘technology’ is for the purposes of the project, because if I counted clothing and tables and walls as technology as readily as computers, there may be very little to remove in some pictures. I might take this slightly further and remove all but the surfaces of screens in the computer labs. I hope that the result of this selective cutting would still allow a viewer to recognize the content of the original picture, to some extent, and would therefore demonstrate just how much of a landscape can be made up of technology. I think I will stick to JPEGs for this assignment because I have already used GIFs as the format for Assignment 3.


I probably will not need to appropriate any imagery for this project as I can take the photographs I’ll need myself. I think it would be interesting to use settings from around campus, like the library computer lab and maybe the computer lab for this art class. I have definitely drawn inspiration from the artist Matt Siber, who separates the text out of photographs of urban scenes. When finished, my idea might also be very similar visually to Penelope Umbrico’s work. Her piece composed of cut-out catalog mirrors comes to mind. Umbrico’s artwork has been very inspiring to me for the projects in this class.


Here's a link to some of Matt Siber's work: Siberart.com
And Panelope Umbrico: Penelopeumbrico.net/Mirrors

No comments:

Post a Comment