Sunday, February 9, 2014

Assignment 2 Proposal

The three piece format of our next assignment is intriguing to me. It seems like it would invite the artwork to tell a story.

My idea for the assignment is to use pictures of both beautiful nature scenes and dark, indoor activities to create a sort of social commentary. I might use images, if I could find them, of people inside of dimly lit examples a factory, an elementary school, and a computer room. Using one for each panel, I might add colorful nature scenes through large windows or other means to show the contrast of people hiding away indoors and the world that they are missing. The progression from a factory and an elementary school, which both require people to remain sheltered inside of them, would compare with a dark computer room, which people often stay locked away in voluntarily. This might comment on people’s odd tendency to miss beauty in the world through preoccupation with their own diversions.

Although I am loath to tempt the wrath of copyright laws, I think I might be able to justify this project as fair use because it could have potential to be transformative in nature. If my use of copyrighted images created new meaning and combined several different pieces, it might be just enough to rationalize transformation. In addition, because I would be using it for noncommercial means, it would be slightly more innocent than a commercial use.

I was influenced by several of the artists whose work was displayed in one of our lectures. Although regrettably I do not remember the artists’ name, some of the pieces that particularly inspired me were those that combined news pictures from different situations. Combining war and popular culture made a profoundly powerful statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment